Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Family Christmas


So I was talking to my mom the other day about Christmas.  She wanted to know our plans and if Aaron and I planned on visiting Christmas day.  That probably happens a million times every December to couples all over the world.  But it's the first time it has happened to me.  I love my family.  I came out to my brother and then my parents a year ago mid-November.  So now, thirteen months later, Aaron is becoming part of the family.  He and a couple of my friends joined us for my family's Thanksgiving dinner in Logan.  Now Aaron and I may be visiting my parents on Christmas day just like my other siblings.

I say "may" because due to some scheduling conflicts, Aaron and I may be hosting our family's Christmas dinner!  If so, then my family would be coming to our home to visit!  To me, this is a miracle.  A true miracle.  After years of keeping them at a distance and being closeted, I have opened up to my family and they have reciprocated ten-fold.  I am proud to be a Guymon. 

I'm proud of Aaron too.  I know that he's wary of this.  He is very concerned that he will make my family uncomfortable.  More than anything, he doesn't want that.  I remind him that whenever they give the invitation, we need to have the courage to take it.  Aaron has been there for me.  Nearly four years of having to deal with me skirting around my family, "straightening up" (pun intended) the house when my parents visited and basically having a limit on how we could progress as a family has ended.

I am blessed. 

I am so glad I listened to the Holy Ghost when I was prompted to prepare to come out to my family.  I've said it before, but I'll repeat it.  The Holy Ghost is a spirit of truth and honesty.  He is present when we speak and share the truth.  When you get the feeling you should come out to someone, that is the Holy Ghost prompting you to do so.  He wants you to eliminate the dishonesty in your life.  I have a testimony that coming out the closet to your family will bless you.  I don't believe that just because it's been good to me.  Heavenly Father doesn't want you to go through life alone.  Our families, our spouses and our friends are supposed to be our support.  Give them that opportunity.  God will bless you.

This is shaping up to be my best Christmas. 

5 comments:

MoHoHawaii said...

Congratulations! This is great!

El Genio said...

Great post. Just dropping by to request a post on the 4 sins of gaydom - I'm intrigued.

mike said...

Congratulations, man. I had no idea you came out so recently. I came out 11 months ago, too.
However, I don't find myself with a loving relationship, like you do. Being gay has been isolating and lonely, probably because it's coupled with a major disability that made me "not good enough" for women, either. I still have hope things will change, but they haven't much.

Beck said...

This puts a huge smile on my face! May you pull it off and have a miraculous Christmas!

Forester said...

I don't believe that coming out is the right thing to do in every case. You are right about listening to the Holy Ghost and following its promptings. At this point in my life, it's not right for me to come out to my spoouse or my family, and it may never be the right thing to do. For me, coming out to my wife would only hurt everyone, cause doubt, and enable despair.